In 2017-18, the Australian Bureau of Statistics’ National Health Survey showed that a quarter of children aged 5-17 years were overweight (17 per cent) or obese (8.17 per cent).
Increased use of technology is leading to a more sedentary lifestyle, we are all spending less time participating in physical activity, therefore increasing the likelihood of weight gain.
Keeping our kids active has cognitive, social emotional & physical benefits:
- Grow healthy bones and strong muscles
- Improve heart health
- Develop imagination
- Build self confidence
- Learn about their body
- Have fun and enjoyment
- Learn to take turns, share, play by the rules and care about others
To help, parents can:
- Show their children how to use play equipment
- Have fun with them
- Encourage them to make up games
- Teach them new skills
For healthier parents (and kids too):
Simple things that contribute to a happier lifestyle.
- Walk the dog together / take nature walks
- Have fun together on an adventure playground
- Group classes (yoga, spin)
- Family fun run
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle for you and your children doesn’t have to be a chore. It’s just a matter of making small physical changes that can benefit your whole family.
Shawn Brack is the HPE Teacher and Sports Coordinator at St Joseph’s School, Parramatta Park